«

»

Dec 20

Print this Post

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

 

 

The Estill County EMA/CSEPP office wants you know that carbon monoxide poisoning is a silent, deadly killer claiming about 1,000 lives each year in the United States. Such common items as automotive exhaust, home heating systems and obstructed chimneys can produce the colorless, odorless gas.

The gas can also be produced by poorly vented generators, kerosene heaters, gas grills and other items used for cooking and heating when used improperly during the winter months.

1. NEVER run generators indoors. Open a window slightly when using a

kerosene heater.

2. NEVER use charcoal to cook indoors.

3. NEVER use a gas oven to heat your home.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include sleepiness, headaches and

dizziness.

If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning, ventilate the area and get to a hospital. You can purchase carbon monoxide detectors that work like smoke detectors at most retail and hardware stores.

For more information contact the Estill County EMA/CSEPP office at 723-6533.

Permanent link to this article: http://estillcountyema.net/carbon-monoxide-poisoning/